To qualify, boards must demonstrate how they are meeting the Foundational Principles of Effective Governance in areas that include:
- Adopting and communicating the districts’ mission, vision, and goals;
- Connecting with the community on issues of importance to the district;
- Implementing a superintendent evaluation process that culminates in an annual superintendent evaluation;
- Conducting regular policy reviews and maintaining an up-to-date policy manual;
- Having an agreed upon, written, and adopted code of conduct;
- Monitoring district ends and using data to show progress;
- Creating and applying an orientation process for newly seated board members; and
- Practicing effective governance behaviors by participating in board development programs and events.
Applications for School Board Governance Recognition are due Aug. 1 and available for download on the IASB website. Applicants must satisfy all of the criteria outlined within the application in order to qualify.
Additional information about the recognition program and guidance about the application process can be found in the tutorial video above. Questions about the award program should be directed to Peggy Goone by phone at 217/528-9688, ext. 1103, or by emailing her at email@example.com.
Governance Recognition is a two-year award, so recipients from 2016 need not apply. A list of 2016-2017 and 2015-2016 recipients is posted here. Boards that earn Governance Recognition will be presented with plaques at IASB’s fall division meetings. Recipients will also have their photos displayed at the 2017 Joint Annual Conference in November.